Sunday, January 5, 2014

let them eat cake...from scratch

The other night at dinner a question was asked, "Does anyone make cake from scratch anymore?"  Surprised by the question, I quickly said, "Yes!"  Funny think is, I haven't made a cake, a whole cake especially, from scratch in quite some time.  When I have had time to bake, I have opted to make cookies or bread.  I woke up this morning and thought, "I am going to make a cake today, from scratch".
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I checked for all the ingredients and luckily, we had everything I needed.  I checked the back of the cake flour box, since there was a recipe on the back that I had used for years, sadly, the recipe was for Devil's Food...hmmm.  No.  Another standby recipe is the one from King Arthur's Flour.  I found the recipe, click here. YAY!!!

After reading the recipe, and gathering all the ingredients, I really don't see the point of making cake from a box.  It's nearly the same amount of time and homemade from scratch is a million times better.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I love the smell of cake baking.  YUMMY!  I can barely wait.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I made the frosting from scratch too.  I really don't measure when I make frosting, but the main ingredients are 1 stick of butter, 3-4 cups of powdered sugar, teaspoon of vanilla extract, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup whipping cream.  Today, I added 1/4 cup of melted semi-sweet chocolate, but you don't need it.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

OK, time to frost the cake.  Crumbs can be a pain to deal with, but if you plunk a big glob of frosting  in the middle and carefully drag the frosting to the edge, you'll do fine.  Use the same technique on the sides, put a big glob of frosting on your knife and gently drag it around.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Finally, I get a piece of cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin